View My Stats

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Rabbit Emergency

Like most days, I have had my mother on my mind since I opened my eyes this morning. People say it's unhealthy for the soul to dwell on the past. If I didn't I could forget her completely. Frames and flashbacks of her crop up on occasion which brings loving relief followed by a void of depression and habits. I panic that I somehow create or enhance these memories to satisfy my wants. I struggle to remember her face. I remember her voice and her mannerisms most. We went on a family holiday to Lanzarote, which was the last over seas holiday I have been on. She was adorned with jewelry and beads and I recall the melody it composed as we skipped along to meet my father by the pool. I can't be sure if I had turned four yet. It was then or shortly after.I had with me a toy. A baby rabbit from the Sylvanian families collection which I adored. I fiddled contently next to her while she sunbathed and multiplied her freckles by a hundred. I had them on my face but she was wrapped in them. Head to toe. She applied cold sun block to my shoulders and nose. I can still smell it. It was child friendly, bright purple and smelt fruity, which only encouraged the wasps. The red brick floor was damn hot. Too hot for my tender little feet to step on so I stuck to my lounger, dressing my rabbit in her miniature dungarees. I have no idea what I did to provoke him but my brother, Guy, who was about seven at the time, sprinted over and snatched the rabbit. Knowing I couldn't follow him over the hot scarlet ground I pleaded for him to return it. He turned to the adults pool and hurled it into the centre. He laughed and ran off to tell his new friends. I was inconsolable and wouldn't make do with any other toy. My father, at the request of my mother, dove in to rescue the rabbit. When he emerged with something in his balled up hand I shut my mouth and gulped down the huge lump in my throat. She had gone bald in the chlorine ridden water. I was still miserable. He scooped me up, placed my astride his shoulders and galloped toward to reception making the sound an ambulance makes, occasionally shouting "EMERGENCY." When we got there he enquired as to whether the lady had a first aid kit and she quickly obliged while looking somewhat baffled.He took out a bandage, cut it up small and wrapped it around the bunnies head. I put some little plaster on her and was happy with my little patient. He took my hand and led me to the bar where he bought me a banana milkshake, my favourite. That is one of the clearest memories I have to date and possible the sweetest thing my Dad has ever done. My mum grinned as I returned a smiley chubby little lady. I sat there with her for the rest of the afternoon. She died shortly after we arrived home and left an unfathomable, eternal gap. Despite not being lucky enough to have known her I miss her famously.

1 comment:

  1. :( I wish you couldve known her more, but then it would've been even harder for you to deal with it. xxx

    ReplyDelete